Sunday, August 12, 2012

Corn Flan with Onions and Bacon

It's been a rough year for corn....I think it has rained twice the whole summer.   Driving past the farmer's fields, the field corn looks all withered and dry.  We had a drenching rain here for the past few days, however.  I hope it helped the farmers but I am afraid it might be too little, too late.  The sweet corn has been wonderful, however.    I found this recipe in one of my garage sale cookbook finds this summer - Celebrating the Midwestern Table by Abby Mandel.   Abby suggests serving this dish when whole ears may be too awkward to handle.  I think it makes a great breakfast dish.   I can make it the night before and bake it in the oven the next morning.  I think the cookbook author made this recipe a bit too complicated and dirties too many dishes, so I simplified it here.   Hope you like it!







Corn Flan with Onions and Bacon
printer friendly

2 slices bacon, diced
1 large sweet onion, minced
4 large ears of corn, kernels cut off
2 eggs
1/3 c milk
1/4 t nutmeg
salt and pepper

In a large cast iron frying pan,  fry bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan, and cook onion until soft.   Whisk eggs and milk and seasoning, stir in corn.  Pour into the frying pan with the onions, and top with bacon.   Bake in a 325 F oven for 40 minutes, or until egg is set.   The center should not jiggle if you shake it.  

No comments: