Friday, November 25, 2011

Smoked Whitefish Pate


I am a huge fan of Bayport Fisheries up in Michigan's thumb...lately, they've been selling their catch at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market.   I hope they are there all winter long.   I bought some whitefish that my husband smoked, but Bayport Fisheries makes a wonderful smoked whitefish if you aren't so inclined,  This recipe works well with any kind of smoked white fleshed fish.  You can find Smoked Whitefish Pate up north all over the place....I had to try my hand at making some myself.   It's great on crackers or toast rounds.

 Smoked Whitefish Pate

1-2 smoked whitefish fillets, broken into pieces.  (about 2 cups)
1 8 oz. brick cream cheese (at room temp)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large shallots, minced
2 T. capers, packed in brine, plus 2 T. brine
1/2 t. garlic powder
6 shake Tabasco sauce
Fresh ground pepper

Mix all ingredients and allow to chill overnight.  

2 comments:

Kate said...

Perfect timing! I just bought some smoked whitefish from them this morning. It really is fantastic stuff. Instant gratification for me is fish on paesano bread with a smear of cream cheese--that'll tide me over while I wait to eat the pate!

Vivienne said...

I love their smoked whitefish too. It is so delicate and fresh that I snarf a fair amount down while I am cleaning it off the carcass.

I make a much simpler paté with just cream cheese, minced onion, minced (homemade) dill pickle. The pickle is in imitation of what they do with their made-up paté.

Also not to be missed is their hot-smoked salmon, substantial and flaky, nothing like lox.