Saturday, October 09, 2010

Spiced Apple Rings

Today at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market, I will be demonstrating how to can apples.   This recipe is from the National Center for Home Food Preservation which is an outstanding resource funded by the USDA and the state's extension services.   It's the place to find answers to all of your canning questions.   Spiced apple rings are technically a sweet pickle, and I fondly remember them from my youth.  On vacation one time, we were at a restaurant that featured what we called a "smorgasbord" and they had a bowl of spiced apple rings in their bright fluorescent red dyed glory.  I ate them all!  Here's my shot at making them myself, sans the red food coloring.  

Spiced Apple Rings

12 lbs firm tart apples (maximum diameter 2-1/2 inches)
12 cups sugar
6 cups water
1-1/4 cups white vinegar (5%)
3 tbsp whole cloves
8 cinnamon sticks

Yield: About 8 to 9 pints

Wash apples. To prevent discoloration, peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in ascorbic acid solution. To make flavored syrup, combine sugar water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon sticks and in a 6-qt saucepan. Stir, heat to boil, and simmer 3 minutes. Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes. Fill jars (preferably wide-mouth) with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

3 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

I was just looking for this recipe the other day! I want to make some to add to my home made gift baskets for Christmas this year.

CallieK said...

These are fabulous! I taught your recipe to my CSO ( Community Shared Orchard) preserving class last week and we all love them. Just for fun we left the skins on and it works fine- turns the brine pink tho so we renamed them Candy Apples in a Jar.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Cynthia said...

@CallieK send me a picture of them! Thanks!