Saturday, November 14, 2009

Greenfield Village - at the Firestone Farm

One of my favorite places at GFV is the Firestone Farm, which is a beautiful Victorian farmhouse that was the childhood home of Harvey Firestone, founder of the tire company.  When visiting the house, the men and women are re-enacting the typical work day of a farm in the late 1800s. The ladies of the house would follow the rules for housework:

  • Wash on Monday
  • Iron on Tuesday
  • Mend on Wednesday
  • Market on Thursday
  • Clean on Friday
  • Bake on Saturday
  • Rest on Sunday

 
Do you do housework on a particular day?  I think that my schedule would look like this:

  • Work and drive kids to stuff on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
  • Work, Happy Hour and collapse on Friday
  • Try to get all the housework done and fail on Saturday
  • Shop and do the wash on Sunday, swear I will start on it earlier in the week next week, but never do

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see...for me I guess it's like this:
Saturday--wash, pick up, market
Sunday--iron, more market
Monday--work, sit on ass, make dinner
Tuesday--clean. Er, write a check for the cleaning people :)
Wed, Thurs, Fri--work, sit on ass, make dinner, pick up around the house.

I'd really prefer my schedule than to great-grandma's schedule. It sucks having to do both work and home-work but at least I have my own bank account and can jam if I ever need to. Poor great-grandma was stuck! (Actually, mine wasn't...she kicked her husband's ass to the curb and then was a bootlegger by making booze in the bathtub, but still).