Sunday, March 22, 2009

Winter Sowing

Today, it doesn't feel like winter, it's 50 degrees out, but I am trying something new to me called winter sowing. Quite simply, it is a way to start seeds outdoors before the danger of frost has passed. Everything I learned about winter sowing, I learned on the Garden Web or on Wintersown, but I first leaned of it from reading this blog post. I like to grow herbs, and finding a good variety of herbs is difficult and expensive when buying flats. I don't get enough sunlight in my house to start seeds indoors, and I really didn't want to buy grow lights.
I like the idea that I can recycle milk jugs, take out containers, and even last years garden flats with repurposed plastic bags from grocery store produce. I spent about $20 in seeds. I'm experimenting chervil, scallions, cilantro, parsley, oregano, dill, sage, rosemary, garlic chives, sweet annie and summer savory. And also, some spearmint, in honor of the Michigan Lady Food Bloggers official cocktail, the mojito. The seedlings will have good 6 weeks to get started before our frost free date here in Ann Arbor, which is allegedly May 15th, but last year we actually had a frost warning on May 27th.
I am hoping this works....I love the thought of getting some gardening accomplished in March.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

You'll have to share how well they work. It stinks that soy milk doesn't come in plastic jugs. Maybe I could find someone willing to save a bunch for me.

Valerie said...

Maggie, I don't know if you'll ever see this reply, but... If you're in the Ann Arbor area, you may well be able to find suitable jugs (very cheaply!) at The Scrap Box.